[OS X TeX] XeTeX

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Fri Apr 30 02:52:21 CEST 2004

Hello Ralph,

On 30/04/2004, at 10:21 AM, Ralph Martin wrote:

> Maybe I am missing something, but I can't seem to get XeteX to work
> with TeXShop and Unicode in what I think is the obvious way:
>
> Set Texshop's text encoding to UTF-8

This sets the default encoding ...

> If I now open the XeTeX 0.5 Sample "test.ltx", the unicode characters
> in the source do not appear as expected, but as character pairs.
> Presumably this is because they are in 16 bit Unicode?

  ... but if you open from the "File:>Open ..."  menu,
make sure the encoding popup is also set to  UTF-8 Unicode .
(You can open individual files with encodings different from default.)

> So, how can things be set up so that I can type unicode in the source,
> and see it as expected there, as well as in the output?

It should just work, once the encoding is correct.

	Ross

Ross Moore                                         ross at maths.mq.edu.au
Sydney, Australia                                  fax: +61 +2 9850 8114