[OS X TeX] using ancient Greek with iTeXMac

Chris Lovell lovel012 at umn.edu
Tue Apr 27 20:13:57 CEST 2004

I'm new to TeX, and am trying to use it to generate documents with a
mixture of text in English and ancient (polytonic) Greek. It's not
working for me so far. Using the built-in editor, I created a short
test document:

%!iTeXMac(charset):UTF-8

\documentclass[11pt]{article}
\usepackage[polutonikogreek,english]{babel}
\usepackage[combine]{ucs}
\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}

\begin{document}

\selectlanguage{polutonikogreek}

[here I pasted in a bunch of UTF-8 Greek text I grabbed from the
Perseus Project, http://www.perseus.tufts.edu. It's with precombined
accents, if that matters.]

\end{document}

I set the string encoding to UTF-8, and save, and the editor confirms
that the string encoding is UTF-8. I try to typset the document, and
Terminal gives a bunch of complaints like:

Package ucs Warning: Magic kern expected. Probably some non-unicode
characters
mixed in while option combine was in effect. on input line 27.

And then quits with:

! LaTeX Error: Command \textomicron unavailable in encoding OT1.

Type  H <return>  for immediate help.

l.27 \end{document}

Can someone explain what's gone wrong?

Thanks,