[OS X TeX] latex2rtf: A developer's perspective

Adam Maxwell amaxwell at wsu.edu
Sat Apr 24 15:33:11 CEST 2004

On 23 Apr, 2004, at 23:02, Scott Prahl wrote:

> I think I know why it works for Adam and not for Thomas.  This is
> a feature of Word.  When fields are used in an RTF document their
> arguments are separated by commas.  However, the designers of Word
> decided that in countries that use a comma as a decimal point, that
> commas should not be used to separate entries.  Consequently, field
> arguments must be separated by semi-colons instead in these countries.
>
> Yes, this is insane.

You said it!

In offlist tests, I found that it worked fine with my Word X and with
an XP Pro/Word 2002 system.  Thomas found that some of the equations
worked when the rtf was opened on Windows, but which equation(s) worked
varied by OS version.  An interesting example of Microsoft standards
(didn't they develop rtf?).

Thanks for pointing out the -S option; I should have read the man page
more carefully :).

--
Adam