[OS X TeX] [OT] OS X 10.3.3 strange text (dash) behavior

Will Robertson will at mecheng.adelaide.edu.au
Mon Apr 19 08:44:46 CEST 2004

Fredrik Wallenberg wrote:

> Has anyone else had problems with several applications having "smart
> features" when it comes to dashes. I see it in Mail, TexShop,
> OmniOutliner and TextEdit, so I assume it is a system wide "feature".
> There are two features... two repeated dashes gets converted to an
> em-dash. A single dash is left alone (surrounded by space) is
> converted to an en-dash.

[OT a little]

I enabled a functionality similar to this when I converted my Latin
Modern fonts using ligatures so that `` would turn to double open quote,
-- and --- would become en and em dash respectively, and some others.
Makes reading plain text emails with Latin Modern Sans quite nice,
sometimes. The beauty of it is that it uses fancy characters to display,
but the actual characters sent are regular old ascii.

Will