[OS X TeX] [OT] OS X 10.3.3 strange text (dash) behavior

Fredrik Wallenberg fwallenberg at mac.com
Sun Apr 18 22:50:38 CEST 2004

Has anyone else had problems with several applications having "smart
features" when it comes to dashes. I see it in Mail, TexShop,
OmniOutliner and TextEdit, so I assume it is a system wide "feature".
There are two features... two repeated dashes gets converted to an
em-dash. A single dash is left alone (surrounded by space) is converted
to an en-dash.

To understand what I'm staying, just open one of the apps above and
type the following (without the '):

This is an '-' en-dash ( - )
This is an '-''-' em-dash (--)

While this would be wonderful behavior if I was using WYSIWYG editing
it is not very helpful for me. How do I get rid of it?

Fredrik