[OS X TeX] Tex on Windoze -- my summary

Rene Borgella Jr. rene at macosx.com
Mon Apr 12 18:09:30 CEST 2004

A report from TeX in Bill's World:

Thanks to the help and suggestions of you folks and Teoma and Google,
I was able to find and install what I needed to make my work on a
Dell Laptop more or less tolerable.  Actually, when I was TeXing, it
wasn't so bad being in Windowsland; it was just when I was doing most
other things that I thought that it was kinda sad that so many
computer users choose to be in Windowsland.

As many of you suggested, MiKTex and WinEdt worked out fine. Being a
relative novice at TeX (really not knowing much at all), I don't know
how close to reality this is for the rest of you, but I found MiKTeX
installation got me a working setup going in relatively short time.
I did find, however, that, at least to the extent I was able to
figure things out, installation is a more or less everything and the
kitchen sink gets installed, and then you can remove some un-needed
stuff (like languages you don't use) later.  Nothing as elegant and
cool as i-Installer (Thanks Gerben!) Again, perhaps there are
installation methods that allow more control, but I didn't see
anything like that right away.

The editor to use was a tougher call for me.  I found that of the
ones I tried, I liked WinEdt and TeXnicCenter the best.  I think they
both have a lot going for them, but there were frustrating things for
me about each of them.  In the end, I choose WinEdt but always found
things in it that I was not happy about.  Mostly, this had to do with
my feeling that settings and prefs should have been easier to find
and tweak.  To me it seemed that these settings were sometimes
unnecessarily complex and all too often there were several ways to do
things that weren't adequately explained.  My biggest frustration is
with the "Help" system.  If you have help on, you cannot actually
access the program's settings while reading the help.  Instead, you
need to read about it, close the help, then do your tweaking. I think
that TeXnicCenter was better than WinEdt for this stuff, and am
seriously considering going over to that program for a while to see
how it works for me.   What I really did like about WinEdt was its
reader: YAP.  I am trying to get YAP to work with TeXnicCenter; if I
can do that, then I'll really give TeXnic a good workout and testing.
I 'll let you all know more about TeXnicCenter when I use it.

Again, thanks to all for your help on using TeX in Windows.

Rene