[OS X TeX] Scaling xipa font

Stephen Anderson stephen.anderson at yale.edu
Fri Apr 9 18:33:05 CEST 2004

I use the tipa phonetic font (actually xipa) together with various ps
fonts: Latin Modern, and two (AdobeGaramongPro and AdobeWarnockPro)
that I made from otf files. I finally figured out how to get slanted,
etc. variants of tipa in such documents, by making a "t3lmr.fd" file
(for Latin Modern) based on "t3ptm.fd".

The xipa variants of tipa are generally OK together with the other
fonts in question, and I'm certainly not going to try to design
versions more like "Latin Modern" or "Adobe Garamond Pro".  But one
thing I would like to fix: the xipa font is a bit too big, and I'd like
to scale it by a factor of about .9 or so.  I know you can scale
Helvetica for use as the sans serif font together with others by
invoking it with "\usepackage[scale=.92]{helvet}" but the tipa package
doesn't understand that option.  I can't really figure out how to get
tipa.sty to work like helvet.sty in this regard - the relevant code at
the top of helvet.sty clearly does it, but it's too obscure for me.

Can anyone help me solve this?

Thanks,
--
Stephen R. Anderson
Professor of Linguistics, Psychology and Cognitive Science