[OS X TeX] Textures vs. TeXShop typesetting speed

Charles Bouldin charles.bouldin at nist.gov
Sat Apr 3 14:04:35 CEST 2004

David,

  Unfortunately, I can't answer any of your specific questions, but I do
have one to ask you, if you still have Textures installed.

I used Textures from version 1.0 and I  am sad that there will probably
be no Textures for X, ever. I miss synchronicity, and to a lesser
extent I miss flash mode. But, life goes on, other fine tools are
appearing and being very actively developed.

The question for you, if you can still do this: Typeset the same large
document with Textures under classic and TeXShop. Either a TeX or a
LaTeX document would be fine. Tell the list the relative speeds. The
last time I checked (which has been well over a year) Textures was
-much- faster. If that is still the case, that is very strange, because
it means that the Textures typesetting engine running under classic is
faster than a native Unix TeX (teTeX).

I've wanted to raise the issue of typesetting speed on the list for
some time, but since I can't provide hard numbers (I no longer have
Textures installed) I have hesitated to so. Perhaps you, or someone
else can provide numbers on this. My perception is that we now have a
set of terrific tools to edit Tex, manage documents, and easily access
a standard install of the typesetting engine, but that typesetting
speed is quite slow compared with other TeX environments.

Let me be really clear: I am not trying to make anyone upset! I salute
the work done to support all these tools. I'm just asking a question,
and the first thing is to get the data to see if my "perception" is
correct.

Chuck Bouldin