[OS X TeX] Bug in \ref ???

Donal B. Day dbd at virginia.edu
Fri Sep 13 22:33:09 CEST 2002

It not  a bug - its a feature!

I have had this problem before and the solution is simple. The \label{}
has to go after the caption. This allows (in figure environment) to have
multiple figures with different captions and labels  so as to reference
them individually.

Donal Day

On Fri, 13 Sep 2002,
Edward M. Roche wrote:

> I a table with a \label indicator. Although the entry "on
> page~\pageref{tab:name}" works correctly, then entry "as seen in
> Table~\ref{tab:name}" yields an incorrect result.
> In the specific case, the output will read:
> "as seen in Table 11.2 on page 63." The "63" is correct, but the "11.2"
> should read Table 12, **as is shown on the Table caption itself!**.
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> I've put the details below. (but have shortened the table)
>
> There is always the problem of what is included and what is excluded in
> any cost estimation. See Table~\ref{tab:outsourcing} on
> page~\pageref{tab:outsourcing}.
>

> \begin{table}
> \begin{center}
> \begin{tabular}{cl}
> \multicolumn{2}{c}{Top 10 Reasons to Outsource} \\
> \  & \  \\
> \hline
> 1. & Reduce and control operating costs. \\
> 2. & Improve company focus. \\
> \hline
> \end{tabular}
> \label{tab:outsourcing}
> \caption{The top 10 reasons why companies outsource according to the
>    Outsourcing Institute~\cite{pro:outsourcing-institute}.}
> \end{center}
> \end{table}

Donal Day
University of Virginia
Institute of Nuclear and Particle Physics
Department of Physics
382 McCormick Road
PO Box 400714
Charlottesville, VA 22904-4714