[OS X TeX] please help me with pdftricks

Juan Manuel Palacios jmpalacios at mac.com
Tue Sep 17 02:50:58 CEST 2002

On Monday, September 16, 2002, at 06:16  PM, Troy Goodson wrote:

> ** Also, if I try and run this in TeXShop, I get this message:
>
> (pdftricks)                No \write 18 capability.
> (pdftricks)                You'll have to run a script by yourself!
>
> what's up here?  I thought I could avoid this with a
> ~/Library/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf, containing "shell_escape = t"
>

> ** Finally, if the personal texmf.cnf won't work, does anyone a script
> I can use in TeXShop as my "personal script" that will handle this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Troy.

	I might not be of much help with the other problems you had but I
managed to get this working with TeXShop, but I should note that the
arrow image appears always as a  different file, when run either from
the command line or from TeXShop. First of all if you don't have it you
have to download the pdftricks.sty file, place it in your local tree and
update teTeX's cache:

[PowerBook:~] juan% sudo mkdir -p
/usr/local/teTeX.texmf.local/tex/latex/pdftricks/
[PowerBook:~] juan% sudo mv pdftricks.sty
/usr/local/teTeX.texmf.local/tex/latex/pdftricks/
[PowerBook:~] juan% sudo chown -R root
/usr/local/teTeX.texmf.local/tex/latex/pdftricks/
[PowerBook:~] juan% sudo texhash

	After that's done all you have to do is go into TeXShop's
preferences and then into the script pane: write the string "pdflatex
-shell-escape" only as a temporary substitution to the default pdflatex
and the compilation should not complain. I should note anyhow that to
see the image you have to open the something-image.tex file and
recompile the pdf but now selecting "TeX and Ghostscript" from the
Typeset meny in TeXShop. Like that you'll be able to see the image right
there.

	Hope that helps. Regards,...

		Juan.