BBEdit and TeXShop files [was: Re: [OS X TeX] Mac OS X 10.2 permissions]

Bruno Voisin Bruno.Voisin at hmg.inpg.fr
Mon Sep 9 10:00:55 CEST 2002

Le dimanche, 8 sep 2002, à 19:40 Europe/Paris, Holger Frauenrath a
écrit :

> Speaking of which ... I tried to view TeX files I had already created
> with TeXShop with BBEdit. BBEdit did not recognize the line endings.
> They were replaced with some special character that just showed up as
> a rectangle. The same character was inserted at a few other places,
> which made it difficult to fix the problem with search&replace. Also,
> their was additional white space inserted at some places ...
>
> Playing with the options in the Open dialog in BBEdit did not help
> (selecting an encoding, checking/unchecking translate line breaks).
>
> Does anybody know what is going wrong and how to fix this?

I have also seen this. My interpretation (possibly wrong): TextEdit and
the TeXShop editor are based on the same Apple classes, which deal
transparently with any kind of end-of-line character (Carriage Return
on Mac OS Classic, New Line on Unix and Mac OS X, Carriage Return + New
Line on DOS/Windows).

Thus, if you use a file created in Classic and edited in TeXShop, the
file will contain a mixture of Mac-style end-of-line characters (from
the time it was edited under Mac OS Classic) and Unix end-of-line
characters (from the modifications added under OS X).

Now BBEdit does not work like this: it reads the file and decides once
and for good that it's Mac, Unix or Windows. Suppose the first
end-of-line characters are Mac-style: BBEdit will think the file is
Mac-style, and display all subsequent Unix-style end-of-lines as
rectangles.

The solution: use "Find" and "Replace All" to convert all end-of-lines
to one style only (\r is Carriage Return, \n is New Line). Once it's
done, you can change all end-of-lines to any style in one go, using one
of the pull-down menus (fifth one from the left).

I had to cope with this not only for TeXShop, but also for importing
mailboxes between mailers: Eudora uses mixtures of different
end-of-lines in the mailbox files, and preliminary treatment is
necessary before successful import into other applications (Mail and
Netscape/Mozilla maybe, I don't remember); similarly, Mail uses Unix
end-of-lines and Netscape/Mozilla uses DOS/Windows end-of-lines,
preliminary conversion is mandatory before successful import.

Bruno Voisin