[OS X TeX] OT: presentations for math

Arun arunsma at fastmail.fm
Fri Sep 20 16:17:26 CEST 2002

Importing to Microsoft products is done in 2 ways: eps or bitmap [jpeg].
If you want to only print the presentation into slides, then you can
import the eps files into Word/Powerpoint [others have commented on how
to do that].

As for conversion from .ps or .eps to jpeg, I do this A LOT, since most
of my pictures from MatLab are exported into eps files [MatLab had
horrible image exporting in my opinion, besides I want to modify
sometimes with Illustrator]. The way I do it is using an open-source
package called  ImageMagick. I'm sure, VersionTracker has it. Anyway,
it's a terminal-based program that's immensely useful for batch jobs.
For example [once you have installed ImageMagick], you can use the
following tcsh shell script:

     foreach i (*.pdf)
         convert -density 288 $i `basename $i .pdf`.jpg
     end

What this does is gets all the pdf's [you can put eps in place of pdf]
in the current directory, and converts them to jpeg's with a resolution
of 288dpi [screen resolution is 72]. I end up giving the converted
jpeg's for others to put into their presentations ... There are many
other options other than density that you can use to
crop/scale/resize/etc. your document before turning it into a bitmap
[use ManOpen to look at the "convert" manfile]. Anyway, the jpeg's that
are generated look great to me; you can increase the quality of
compression if you wish [I keep at the default].

- Arun