Why GS 7 ? [Was: Re: [OS X TeX] New version of TeX]

Edward Thome ed.thome at murraystate.edu
Wed Sep 25 15:15:12 CEST 2002

Go to Gerben's site and download the latest TeX-thin i-Installer.  Once
you've put the installer on your drive, go to the File menu and select
"Open Remote i-Package" and paste
"http://www.ntg.nl/macosx-tex/i-packages/gs7.ii"  in the field for the
url.  That will bring up the usual installation window.

Compatibility with ps files on other systems might be an issue...there
is no doubt that someone else knows the answer to the second half of
your question better than I.  I've read that some flaws with GS 6 were
fixed in GS 7 (although I don't know what they were) but under 10.1.x,
GS 6 worked better with OS X because of the Quartz display issues with
GS  7.   I apologize for probably repeating what you already know and
read in the same place I did (but months ago, so I can't give credit).

Best wishes,
Ed