[OS X TeX] Newbie Questions

Maarten Sneep sneep at nat.vu.nl
Wed Sep 4 15:06:47 CEST 2002

On 04-Sep-02 Stephan Hochhaus wrote:
> 1.) How do I get correct " signs? I need the German ones that look like
> 99 (at the bottom) and 66 (at the top)?

at the top of your document:
\usepackage[german]{babel} % although others may have a different
                           % opinion about that.

then use `" for the start quote and '" for the end quote.

> 2.) How can I get another type into my document? I need to use the IPA
> (international Phonetic Alphabet) font in order to display the correct
> signs.

Don't know (do physics myself, hardly ever need it ;)

> 3.) Is there a way to use BBEdit as my editor? Right now I am using
> TexShop and I like it because I can set and see what I just did.

If you like it, why switch? I think there are a few packages out there that
show you how to do this. You can even have TeXShop display the results
(configure for external editor). Do a search in the list archives.