[OS X TeX] "Too many open files" error - FIX

Gerben Wierda Sherlock at rna.nl
Fri Sep 6 14:58:23 CEST 2002

On Friday, September 6, 2002, at 10:16 , Gerben Wierda wrote:

> On Friday, September 6, 2002, at 12:45 , Gary L.Gray wrote:
>
>> <Chapter-4/Section-4.5/ProblemFigs/HW_moments_J_300/
>> HW_moments_J_300.pdf, id=15
>> 01, 168.63pt x 124.465pt>
>> <use  Chapter-4/Section-4.5/ProblemFigs/HW_moments_J_300/
>> HW_moments_J_300.pdf>pdftex:
>> Chapter-4/Section-4.5/ProblemFigs/HW_moments_J_400/
>> HW_moments_J_400.pdf: Too many open files
>

> You seem to be hitting a hard coded open file limit (256) in TeX. This
> is strange as included figures should close their handles after
> inclusion, but maybe for some reason pdfTeX keeps them open. I have
> asked for help on the pdftex and texlive lists about this.

It turns out this is an ill-advised optimization in pdfTeX. I have fixed
this in my copy of the sources and recompiled and updated the TeX
Programs i-Package (and only the i-Package) so the fix can be tested.

The volumes (TeX.dmg, TeX-fat.dmg and TeX-thin.dmg are not updated
untill the fix has been confirmed to work)