[OS X TeX] TeXShop/teTeX speed using TeX+ghostscript

Bruno Voisin Bruno.Voisin at hmg.inpg.fr
Tue Sep 24 20:07:23 CEST 2002

Le mardi, 24 sep 2002, à 16:48 Europe/Paris, Wolfgang Lerche a écrit :

> [snip]
>
> I do not see the point of these washed-out anti-aliased fonts, rather
> I get headache from them;
> for a comparison between OSX anti-aliased fonts and Nextstep bitmapped
> fonts,
> see eg. <a href=http://wwwth.cern.ch/~lerche/texcompare.gif>here</a>.
> It appears that there is no TeX previewer under OSX that doesn't look
> worse or much worse
> than the previewers on other systems - eg just consider Miktex under
> W$$ and judge yourself
> how the crisp dark saturated fonts look, and how smoothly the
> previewer (Acrobat) scrolls.

In OS X 10.2, in the System Pref "General" there is a new item allowing
to setup anti-aliasing (to some extent). But not yet to switch it off.
And yes, I too have sometimes the impression of seeing an unfocused
screen when I watch an anti-aliased window.

> One may also more broadly discuss about developing a Tex environment
> (perhaps as a plugin?)
> specifically tailored for use with the eprint archives. I think that
> there is a large set of potential academic users
> who submit all their papers to the archives and download most of the
> papers from there.

This depends on the scientific community. Yes in physics preprint
archives are ubiquitous, but in my community (mechanics) they aren't:
in fluid mechanics, a scientific paper is generally only considered as
such after it has gone through a full refereeing process (2 to 4
referees per paper). This means between 3 months to one year (sometimes
more) between submission and publication, which is one problem. On the
other hand this also means that the amount of information I have to
process daily as a scientist is smaller, which I consider quite good.

FWIW,

Bruno Voisin