[OS X TeX] [OT] Extending a figure on the external margin

Gary L. Gray gray at engr.psu.edu
Wed Sep 25 15:21:19 CEST 2002

On Wednesday, September 25, 2002, at 08:57  AM, Serge Cohen wrote:

> I'm having a doc in the Book class. In it I have large figure which I
> want to extend over the margin. Indeed that running mostly Ok, except
> that the margin used is always the left one, which is Ok for odd pages
> (that then correspond to external margin) but I want it to be the
> opposite for even pages (going on the right margin which is then the
> external margin).

Have TeX determine whether or not the page is even or odd and then
include the graphic file:

\newlength{\negevenjump}
\newcommand{\bigfig}{%
\ifthenelse{\isodd{\thepage}}%
% then set \negevenjump to zero;
{\setlength{\negevenjump}{0mm}}%
% otherwise set \negevenjump to a value which makes the graphic
% aligned with the left margin of even numbered pages.
{\setlength{\negevenjump}{-\marginparsep - \marginparwidth}}%
% Now simply include the graphic.
\hspace{\negevenjump}\includegraphics{yourfigname}
}

I haven't tried this, but it gives you the general idea (I have simply
modified some code we have to do this from a book we are writing). Note
it does not use the figure environment, which gives a float, so you
will have to determine the placement of your figure and create the
caption.

You might also search for this in comp.text.tex on Google.

Good luck,

-- Gary L. Gray