[OS X TeX] howto do smart (double) quotes with texshop

Benji Fisher benji at member.AMS.org
Mon Sep 30 17:59:11 CEST 2002

ccr-mactex at creutzig.de wrote:

> Ross Moore <ross at ics.mq.edu.au> writes:
>
> > My point is that you want `` and '' to go into the TeX file,
> > otherwise you are risking incompatibilities across platforms.
>
>  No, you don't.  Well, yes you want for English text, but not for
> German text.  (Let alone Swiss and French, where you want guillemots
> instead of the quotes.)  Point in question: Which editors can be
> taught to change their "smart quotes" in accordance with the current
> language?  (You want that set anyway, for spell checking.)  For
> EMacs, you can set TeX-open-quote and TeX-close-quote to the strings
> you want, but I'm not sure if you can make this depend on the current
> language.  Then, whether you want "`..."' or \glqq{}...\grqq{} is a
> matter of taste.

     I wrote a script to enable ``smart quotes'' using Vim.  If anyone is
interested, and can tell me how to decide what the current language is, I will
be happy to update it to change the inserted text automatically.

					--Benji Fisher

http://macvim.swdev.org/OSX