[OS X TeX] New command for a larger definite integral

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Mon Sep 9 18:35:23 CEST 2002

> Hi group,
>
> I am using TeXShop and want to define a larger definite integral
> (in-line).  The following command does the trick for an indefinite
> integral:
>
>   \newcommand{\bigint}[2]{\displaystyle \int {#1}}.
Why do you need 2 parameters ?
It is sufficient to do
   \newcommand{\bigint}{\displaystyle \int}

and use \bigint in exactly the same way as you would use \int .

> But I am unable to put in limits of integration, and I am stumped.

That's easy:  \newcommand{\bigint}{\displaystyle \int\limits} .
Indeed, simply using  \int\limits  may be enough for inline maths.
However, you may need to be careful about how close the line gets
to lines above and below in the same paragraph. That will look ugly,
unless you have only the one line.

> Probably something really simple, but I would appreciate any help.

Yes. \limits applies also to thing like \sum and \prod .

> Thanks

Hope this helps,

	Ross Moore