[OS X TeX] "Too many open files" error - how to fix?

Gary L. Gray gray at engr.psu.edu
Fri Sep 6 00:45:32 CEST 2002

We have a substantial LaTeX document that gives the following error
when typesetting the entire thing:

<Chapter-4/Section-4.5/ProblemFigs/HW_moments_J_300/
HW_moments_J_300.pdf, id=15
01, 168.63pt x 124.465pt>
<use
Chapter-4/Section-4.5/ProblemFigs/HW_moments_J_300/
HW_moments_J_300.pdf>pdftex:
Chapter-4/Section-4.5/ProblemFigs/HW_moments_J_400/
HW_moments_J_400.pdf: Too many open files

LaTeX Warning: Reference `problem:HW_moments_J_300' on page 140
undefined on in
put line 1416.

LaTeX Warning: Marginpar on page 140 moved.

We have never had this happen before. We suspect the "Too many open
files" error has something to do with the number of figures (we are
including pdf files using \includegraphics) in the document. Here are
the totals:

3 in Chapter 1
153 in Chapter 2
0 in Chapter 3
98 in Chapter 4

The strange thing is that this document typeset before upgrading to the
latest release of teTeX-TeXLive. In addition, when I run the
i-Installer and have it check the TeX Foundation, it tells me:

"An OLDER package version was found at the URL."

If I click, "Yes, go ahead." -- it doesn't do anything.

What is happening here?

-- Gary L. Gray