[OS X TeX] OT: presentations for math

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Fri Sep 20 08:17:15 CEST 2002

> Here's the rub and here is where I ask for ideas, solutions,
> alternatives, as I am not a graphics expert either, oh dear!
> Hold on to your stomach!
> He, the professor, wants to bring the .ps files into PowerPoint.  So, I

Use Acrobat Reader instead.
Generate PDFs, with incremental page-builds, then use AR as the reader.
You get the full capability of TeX typesetting and PDF rendering,
with most of the same functionality of PowerPoint that he's likely
to want to use.

> use PhotoShop to run up the quality of the jpeg conversion and it looks
> "OK" when displayed on screen, I guess, rather he thinks so.

You don't need to convert to JPEG this way, so the quality stays
as high as it can be.

> However, he has, it seems, now learned to use PowerPoint's built in
> capabilities and if you ask me those slides (text and titles, scans)
> just don't help make his imported graphic files look really good.

> We tried converting ps/pdf but it seems PowerPoint doesn't much ps or
> pdf.

Use AR as a presentation tool.
Check out the Full Screen mode, and associated menu options.

> I simply thought, though that I *must* be missing some GOOD idea or
> solution.

For some example documents done this way, with TeX of course:

http://www.maths.mq.edu.au/texdev/MATHS/MATH237/StudyGuide2K1e2/

click on 'Unit Outline', then find the links to 'slides'.
(There are several of them, each for a different lecture.)

For more information on this technique, using the same macros
or several other macro packages, consult:

  http://www.tug.org/tug2001/bulletin/slides.html

I think you will like what you find there.

All the best,

	Ross Moore