[OS X TeX] Re: BBEdit and TeXShop files

Holger Frauenrath mail at frauenrath.com
Mon Sep 9 14:23:04 CEST 2002

On Monday, September 9, 2002, at 03:00 AM, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> I have also seen this. My interpretation (possibly wrong): TextEdit
> and the TeXShop editor are based on the same Apple classes, which deal
> transparently with any kind of end-of-line character (Carriage Return
> on Mac OS Classic, New Line on Unix and Mac OS X, Carriage Return +
> New Line on DOS/Windows).
>
> Thus, if you use a file created in Classic and edited in TeXShop, the
> file will contain a mixture of Mac-style end-of-line characters (from
> the time it was edited under Mac OS Classic) and Unix end-of-line
> characters (from the modifications added under OS X).
>
> Now BBEdit does not work like this: it reads the file and decides once
> and for good that it's Mac, Unix or Windows. Suppose the first
> end-of-line characters are Mac-style: BBEdit will think the file is
> Mac-style, and display all subsequent Unix-style end-of-lines as
> rectangles.

I do not know whether this is the case or not. But the files I tested
have *exclusively* been created/modified in TeXShop under MacOS X
before. I have to admit, I sort of described the problem in a wrong
way: actually only single returns and (automatic) returns from soft
wrapping in TeXShop are not recognized by BBEdit ... so I guess you
could be right in so far that TeXShop uses a different character in
this case (as opposed to a double return).

> The solution: use "Find" and "Replace All" to convert all end-of-lines
> to one style only (\r is Carriage Return, \n is New Line). Once it's
> done, you can change all end-of-lines to any style in one go, using
> one of the pull-down menus (fifth one from the left).

This is exactly what I did, but I ended up with a handful of extra
returns inserted at seemingly random places that I had to manually
remove ...

Thanks anyways.
Holger