[OS X TeX] xdvik, semicolons in texmf.cnf

William McCallum mccallumwilliam at qwest.net
Sat Oct 12 08:54:36 CEST 2002

I recently managed to install xdvik, a dvi viewer that is almost
perfect from my point of view (forward and reverse search to emacs
(even with multifile documents), hyperlinks, shows embedded postscript
and uses type1 fonts).

In the process, I discovered that the texmf.cnf configuration file that
comes with Gerben Weirda's distribution has semicolons separating the
path names instead of the usual unix colons. Replacing them with colons
solved a problem I had with xdvik continually regenerating fonts it had
already generated.

Does anyone know what the consequences might be of replacing the
semicolons with colons (I've seen no bad ones so far)? And, if unix
uses colons, how did the whole system cope until now with the
semicolons?

Another mystery: replacing the semicolons seems to have broken the fix
that repaired the identical problem with xdvi.

(520) 621 6697
http://www.math.arizona.edu/~wmc