[OS X TeX] .ps graphic extensions

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Sun Oct 20 01:36:34 CEST 2002

> I have an odd problem: using the epsfig and psfig packages, I can import
> .ps and .eps files into my latex file when I call latex from the
> Unix/Darwin command line --- but *not* when I run TeXShop.  (I have no
> idea how I could possibly have installed two different versions...)

You haven't installed 2 versions; you are using 2 different processing
modes.  TeXShop uses pdflatex  which is  pdftex+latex (not  tex+latex).

You can ask TeXShop to use TeX+dvips+Ghostscript but that just takes
longer and doesn't always do as good a job (though sometimes it is
the only thing that works, so you need both modes to be available).

pdfTeX requires graphics to be in either: PDF, JPEG, PNG format
(and can handles some TIFFs as well).
To get your .eps graphics into a suitable form, just drag their
icons to the TeXShop icon in the dock. This will use Ghostscript
to render the .eps and save it as .pdf .

Now make sure that your LaTeX code, using \includegraphics ,
does *not* specify the .eps extension. It is redundant and will
stop TeXShop from finding the new .pdf versions.

If you are *not* using \includegraphics, but something else
(such as \epsfig or \psfig, etc.) then that is a mistake that
should be rectified in all of your LaTeX documents.
(Once you have tried and tasted the power and flexibility of all
the options available with \includegraphics, you will not regret
the extra work required for the change-over.)

You later emails indicate that you have discovered that
Acrobat/Reader cannot open a PDF file that is still being built
by a running pdfTeX job. Just wait until the job is finished before
trying to view it, or reload it to see the latest update.

Hope this helps,

	Ross Moore