[OS X TeX] installing TeX-Fat.dmg

Martin Costabel costabel at wanadoo.fr
Sun Oct 27 08:00:44 CET 2002

Michael Murray wrote:

> > Thank you Michael,
> >
> > The icon is now clickable, but when I try to install
> > "Unarchiving failed . . ." appears and the following
> > is in the message box/es (and so on for TeX foundation
> > and TeX programs)
> >
> > gs6.01.pre_install: /usr/bin/basename: No such file or
> > directory
> > gs6.01.pre_install: /usr/bin/basename: No such file or
> > directory
> > tar (child): Cannot exec gzip: No such file or
>

> If Ted's idea doesn't work the  I don't know what is going on.
>
> If in Terminal you  do
> which basename
> does it say
> /usr/bin/basename
>
> Or if you do ls /usr/bin is there a basename in the resulting file
> list ?
>

> Have you installed anything else into the unix side of the mac ?
> Fink by any chance ?

Quite probably he doesn't have the BSD subsystem installed. basename,
gzip and somewhat over 300 other commands in /usr/bin are only installed
if you check the "Install BSD system" box during the installation of Mac
OSX. Apple seems to think that the typical mouse-clicking analphabetical
Mac user doesn't need these.

--
Martin