[OS X TeX] missing ligatures using AGaramon

Cyril Niklaus cynik at gmx.co.uk
Fri Oct 18 16:45:40 CEST 2002

Hi all,
I tried (again) to install AGaramond since I have the expert font, but
I'm running into a hitch. I have not even yet tried to install/use the
full set, but just the ones that are covered by the CTAN xadobe package
(thinking the .tfm would be tuned better than what I could achieve with
fontinst).
Well, my .tfm, .vf and .pfb are in place, the .map inputed using
updmap, so things should be ok.
They're not: the ff, ffl and other ligatures are not showing up, either
if I use pdf or ps.
I get the following error message:
This is dvips(k) 5.90a Copyright 2002 Radical Eye Software
(www.radicaleye.com)
' TeX output 2002.10.18:2328' -> /tmp/altpdflatex.1704/testgara.ps
<texc.pro><8r.enc><texps.pro>. <cmr12.pfb><cmmi12.pfb><padri8x.pfb>
Warning: module writet1 of dvips (file padri8x.pfb): glyph `V' undefined
Warning: module writet1 of dvips (file padri8x.pfb): glyph `Z' undefined
<padri8a.pfb><padr8x.pfb>
Warning: module writet1 of dvips (file padr8x.pfb): glyph `V' undefined.

Is that because my pfb file is bad, or it is badly (re?)encoded? What
would be the cause of that error? Of course, what makes me think it's a
encoding problem is the V Y Z, since it's ffl etc. it's actually
coughing on. I'm a bit wary of the pfb, since I used Fontographer to
produce them from the mac postscript version I have of the fonts, not
knowing how to use LWFN (with the info in the resource fork, if I'm not
mistaken) with TeX.

Anyone?
Otherwise I'd also be grateful if someone could share their pad.map if
complete (ie with the OsF fonts et al.), as I'm not positive as to how
I' supposed to write it. Wold that be correct?
padbij8r AGaramond-BoldItalicOsF " TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont "
<8r.enc <padbij8a.pfb
padbj8r AGaramond-BoldOsF " TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont " <8r.enc
<padbj8a.pfb
padrij8r AGaramond-ItalicOsF " TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont " <8r.enc
<padrij8a.pfb
padsc8a AGaramond-SemiboldSC " TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont " <8r.enc
<padsc8a.pfb
padrc8r AGaramond-RegularSC " TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont " <8r.enc
<padrc8a.pfb
padsij8r AGaramond-SemiboldItalicOSF " TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont "
<8r.enc <padsij8a.pfb

Thanks
cyril