[OS X TeX] installing TeX-Fat.dmg: BSD subsystem

Gerben Wierda Sherlock at rna.nl
Sun Oct 27 17:55:59 CET 2002

On Sunday, Oct 27, 2002, at 17:05 Europe/Amsterdam, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> Does anybody know when in the installation process such a choice
> can/must be done? I can't remember having ever instructed anything
> about a BSD subsystem to my G4. But as my installation was OS 9 ->
> Public Beta -> 10.0 update -> 10.1 update -> 10.2 update, I may have
> missed something present in a direct install.
>
> By the way, does anybody know a URL documenting Apple's notion of a
> BSD subsystem, and why its installation may be considered optional?
> (Nothing too technical, as I'm not a programmer, just an interested
> user.)

I do not know, but I'm fairly unhappy about Apple lowering the
standards wrt the availability of unix stuff here. As I do understand
and support their insistence on GUI-stuff, there is nothing wrong with
GUI-stuff using Unix stuff in the back, IMO.

This change (where Apple's Mac OS X in fact is a rather 'broken' unix
by default as much of what is standard part of unix is missing) has
delayed i-installer v2 because I want to work around this so that
i-installer v2 will work on systems without the BSD subsystem
installed. The solution is that i am going to copy those parts of the
BSD subsystem that I need into my own app. This is suboptimal, but the
only way out.

So, the good news is that i-Installer v2 will be BSD-independent, the
bad news is that it will be delayed by a day or so (I was supposed to
release it today) and that of course it is not clear if this BSD-less
solution is at all entirely possible.