[OS X TeX] TeXLive CD vs iInstaller

Michel Bovani michel.bovani at wanadoo.fr
Fri Oct 25 16:13:32 CEST 2002

Le 25/10/02 13:33, « Gianluca Gorni » <gorni at dimi.uniud.it> a écrit :

> Hello!
>
> I have the TeX Live 7 CD. I would like to install TeX on my MacOS 10.2.1.
> I understand that I can either use the CD content or an internet installer.

Yes. If you install from the cd (cd-install.sh script) note that bash
installation is no longer needed if you use jaguar.

If you prefer an Internet-install, I recommend you don't use the i-installer
that is on the cd, because it is probably out-of date (Gerben ?). Best to
download the new i-installer from Gerben's web pages (wait a few days...).

The differences are

1 - The full-texlive installation may be more complete (of course).
2 - Gerben's i-installer provides an up-to-date version (tl7 was up-to-date
in june 2002...).
3 - the structures of the two installs are different (but the binaries are
the same).

> If I run the CD installer, will I be able to use some internet automatic
> updater later on? (Is it called iInstaller? I can't remember).

No. Because of the third point above. For example in tetex the texmf tree is
in a share directory, not in tl7.

Of course it remains possible to install TL7, to install tetex (with the
i-installer) to move element from tetex to tl7, to solve all paths problems
(there will be if you do that) : at your own risks !

--
Michel Bovani