[OS X TeX] Using Bibdesk for a bibliography

Martin Stokhof stokhof at hum.uva.nl
Thu Oct 17 17:53:48 CEST 2002

Hi,

Assuming your new to LaTeX and BiBTeX, here is the routine (if you're
not, and your problem is due to something else, please excuse me for
giving these elementary instructions):

1. your file should contain:
  - the command \bibliographystyle{**some style**} after the
\begin{document} command [note that some styled required an additional
.sty file to be included via \usepackage in order for the local
references to come out right; others, such as the plain style, don't]
  - the command \bibliography{**name of your .bib file**} where you want
the bibliography to occur, usually right before the \end{document}
command
  - \cite commands for the individuals references; note that you can
make non-referenced items appear by meanns of the \nocite{} command

2.
  - typeset the file with TeXShop's LaTeX-command: shift-command-L
  - run BibTeX on it with TeXShop's BiBTeX-command: shift-command-B
  [make sure the .bib file is in the same folder as the file you're
typesetting; there are other ways to make sure that BiBTeX is able to
find the .bib file, but this works always]
  - type-set the file once more: now the bibliography should appear
  - type-set again: now the references in the text shoulds be there

Hope this helps,
Martin