[OS X TeX] LaTeX for MAC

Michael Murray mmurray at maths.adelaide.edu.au
Sat Oct 26 07:15:55 CEST 2002

>Hello,
>
>I would like to start learning TeX/LaTeX.
>
>I have already downloaded texshop.dmg, TeX.dmg, and a
>number of how to manuals.
>
>But unfortunately, I have not been able to figure out
>where I can download LaTeX for MAC (OS 10.2).
>
>Where can I do that?
>
>Thanks for your patience.
>
>Tim

Hi Tim

LaTeX is part of the teTeX distribution which is what
you have downloaded as TeX.dmg.  If you have installed
it all when you open up TeXShop it should
be able to process a latex file.

Try opening TeXShop and typing

\documentclass{article}

\begin{document}

This is a test

\end{document}

Save this as test.tex.

Then click on the button saying TeX.  TeXShop should call
latex or pdflatex and process this file and produce a
window titled test.pdf with the words This is a test
in it.

Michael

Assoc/Prof Michael Murray
School of Pure Mathematics         Fax: 61+ 8 8303
3696
University of Adelaide             Phone: 61+ 8 8303 4174
Australia  5005      Email: mmurray at maths.adelaide.edu.au
Home Page: http://www.maths.adelaide.edu.au/pure/mmurray
PGP public key:
http://www.maths.adelaide.edu.au/pure/mmurray/pgp.txt