[OS X TeX] BBEdit and TeXShop

John Johnson johajohn at indiana.edu
Mon Nov 11 03:54:12 CET 2002

On Sunday, Nov 10, 2002, at 20:00 America/Indianapolis, TeX on Mac OS X
Mailing List wrote:

> Subject: Re: [OS X TeX] BBEdit and TeXShop
> From: "Jeff Collins" <vze22kt4 at verizon.net>
> Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 12:07:43 -0500

[snip]
> Open preferences in TeXShop. On the "document" tab in the prefs dialog,
> check the option marked "Configure for external editor."  Quit TeXShop.
>
> Now when you drag a .tex file onto TeXShop, it will not open that file
> be edited, but will assume you are editing the file it in an external
> editor and want only to typeset it using TeXShop.
>
> In other words, you can open the .tex file in BBEdit (or another
> editor,
> vi, emacs, whatever) and make and save changes to the file from there.
> TeXShop will just happily process the file without trying to open the
> file in its own editing window.

Thanks for the help, Jeff. This seems to do the trick. I'd like to see
something for TeXShop similar to the old TeXTools plugin or the
BBEdit&OzTeX plugin, but I don't find the source for the TeXTools
plugin. I've got the source (C++) for the OzTeX plugin, and though I
don't know C, I think that I understand what's going on there (it's
pretty well documented). Maybe I'll take some of my semester break and
try to modify the plugin to work for TeXShop.  In the meantime, at
least I don't have to cut and paste my documents from BBEdit to TeXShop
now! ;-)

Later,

John
johajohn at indiana.edu