[OS X TeX] Minor upgrade: Releasse Candidate 3b

Gerben Wierda Sherlock at rna.nl
Sun Nov 3 16:02:16 CET 2002

I am looking into this with you off list, but for the others a
remark/reply:

On Sunday, Nov 3, 2002, at 12:30 Europe/Amsterdam, Nigel King wrote:

> I think there is a problem with context fonts on this distribution.
>
> I am running 10.2.1 and I downloaded the Friday images from below onto
> machine partition that previously had not had tetex installed. I
> installed
> into the default locations so that texmf is in
>  /usr/local/tetex/share/texmf/

The default location of my packages is in fact /usr/local/teTeX. The
capitalization might matter in some cases. teTeX is a unix TeX and Unix
tools generally assume that a file system is case sensitive. HFS+, the
default file system for Mac OS X is not case sensitive, but case
insensitive with respect to opening files and case 'sensitive' with
respect to presenting the name of a file to the outside world. This
behaviour is called 'case preserving'.

The search algorithm that TeX has for locating files is case sensitive.

Here are a few rules:

1. In general, it is best with TeX to keep your capitalization.
2. If you are having problems with file locations, make sure you are
using proper capitalization before you conclude there is something
wrong.

If you want to use lowercase-only filenames, you can install TeX in a
non-default location using i-Installer v2. In fact, I would currently
use /usr/local/tetex as the default if that would not play havoc with
people who already have TeX installed on case-sensitive file systems:
they would end up with two TeX systems on their disk.