[OS X TeX] i-installer MD5 checksum errors

Dr. Paul Fons paul-fons at aist.go.jp
Tue Nov 5 17:23:03 CET 2002

On 2002.11.5, at 06:49 PM, Gerben Wierda wrote:

> A possible reason is that there is a cache between you and where your
> are downloading from and this cache is misbehaving. It is offering you
> an old version of the checksum or the table of contents even if there
> is a new version available *and* it is instructed by i-Installer to
> ignore caching (check your preferene setting on this).
>
> An other possible reason is that you have been trying to update while
> the package was being updated. There is a protection against this in
> i-Installer, but this depends on the packages being downloaded in a
> certain way, and I haven't implemented that here yet. But if this is
> reproducable (i.e. it happens when you hit update again say 5 minutes
> later) this is not the cause.
>
> It is as far as I know impossible for there to be another cause.
> i-Installer downloads the new table of contents and saves this
> (reporting download or writ errors along the way). Then it checks the
> new table of contents (which has been downloaded) against the remote
> md5 checksum.

Thank you for your quick response.  The error message is reproducible
(not a remote package being updated).  For example, if I attempt to run
the ghostscript 7 i-installer script, I get a MD5 checksum error
regardless of the settings regarding the cache in the preferences and
the update always fails.  This does not happen for new packages (for
example, I installed the rtf->latex converter without error).  I turned
the log level up to 4 and the following was recorded:

gpg: Signature made Fri Nov  1 21:26:26 2002 JST using DSA key ID
C87AB5FC
gpg: requesting key C87AB5FC from HKP keyserver wwwkeys.nl.pgp.net
gpg: Good signature from "i-Installer <iinstaller at rna.nl>"
gpg: checking the trustdb
gpg: no ultimately trusted keys found
gpg:          There is no indication that the signature belongs to the
owner.
Fingerprint: C1BA 787F 78B0 18D2 B6E7  9464 9D03 DB70 C87A B5FC

Does this imply that the package in question has been perhaps
unintentionally changed somewhere along the way?