[OS X TeX] TeXShop 1.22 crash

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Mon Nov 11 01:38:01 CET 2002

Hi Richard,

you wrote:

> This still works; TeXShop works fine if you don't use graphic file
> extensions, etc.
>
> So I tried experiments from the command line to avoid interaction
> with TeXShop. It turns out that pdflatex works as I've described above.
> However, if the file extension is included and the file is missing, then
> pdflatex stops with a fatal error. Since I don't use pdflatex that way,
> I don't know if this is new behavior, or has always happened. Do
> any of you know?

This is pretty standard behaviour for pdftex (pdflatex).
Don't know why --- it's certainly not desirable.

> If pdflatex stops with a fatal error, and if you
> then push return in the Terminal window, TeXShop crashes.  Certainly
> TeXShop shouldn't crash in this situation, and I'll fix that. It may be
> that
> I haven't seen this problem because before this, the typesetting
> programs
> haven't stopped with a fatal error.

It also happens when there is a graphic of the right name,
but pdfTeX cannot unravel the internal data format.
e.g.
colored JPEGs from Photoshop kill it, though Grayscale ones are OK.
For the coloured JPEGs, resaving with GraphicConverter makes them OK.

> As for the blank pdf window, I don't see that here. One bug at a time,
> please!!

Usually bugs come in swarms, attracted to bright lights.
 :-)

All the best,

	Ross