[OS X TeX] How to make TeXShop aware of TEXINPUTS variable

Bruno Voisin Bruno.Voisin at hmg.inpg.fr
Wed May 1 17:15:32 CEST 2002

> I am accustomed to keeping my figures in a subdirectory,
> called ./fig/.  In the TeX distribution I've been familiar
> with before (teTeX), I've made (pdf)LaTeX aware of this by
> doing 'setenv TEXINPUTS :./fig' in my .login file.  This still
> works with Gerben Wierda's TeXLive-teTeX distribution -- but
> only if (pdf)latex is run from a terminal.  Is it possible to
> make TeXShop aware of this environment variable?

I think Gerben's teTeX is setup not to rely on user's modifications of
environment variables, and instead to search the directory
~/Library/texmf/ in addition to the standard teTeX tree
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf; it's, as far as I understood, in this
additional directory that all user's modifications should reside.

In practical terms: replicate in ~/Library/texmf/ the arborescence you
want to modify, and put your personal subdirectories there. I just tried
to create subdirectories ~/Library/texmf/pdftex/fig/ and
~/Library/texmf/tex/fig/, and put figures of mine there, in both cases
pdfTeX (launched from within TeXShop) does find the figures.

There has been some discussions of TEXINPUTS and other environment
variables on this list already. I don't remember the details, but I
think Gerben provided more details on his setup, maybe they are still on
the list archive (or on Gerben's web site www.rna.nl/tex.html, or in
/usr/local/teTeX/README.howtexfindsfiles).

Otherwise, if you use the LaTeX graphics package, you can also write
\graphicspath{{fig/}} (that's what I usually do).

Hope this solves your problem,

Bruno Voisin

"help" (no quotes) in the body.