[OS X TeX] Equation Services-Illustrator

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Thu May 23 12:35:49 CEST 2002

> A simple solution is to outline the characters in Illustrator:
>
>        Select -> All, Type -> Create Outlines
>
> So, the eps file doesn't use any font.

That's true, but usually you get lousy output when your PDF is viewed
with Acrobat Reader, since there is no anti-aliasing, or hinting
for how to best render these outlined shapes, the way there would be
with a proper Type1 font.

> >I've been trying to use equation services to put equations in
> >Illustrator graphics, but greek characters don't show up. I have

There are a variety of reasons for this, all related to the character's
position in TeX-encoded fonts, and decisions taken by Adobe to pay
too much attention to the character's numbered location in a font,
rather than the glyph names.

> >installed the computer modern fonts (Alberto Arabia's) in
> >/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Fonts, as well in the
> >Library/Fonts directories. Has anyone else had success with this?
> >Acrobat Reader has no problem seeing those characters in a PDF that
> >I created with metapost, but Illustrator can't see them there
> >either. If I save the file after Illustrator deals with it, the
> >fonts are gone.
That will be Illustrator leaving out what it thinks is a mal-formed
font.

This kind of bad font behaviour has been in Illustrator for a long time.
The need to side-step this was one of the major reasons for developing
the WaRMreader macros, based upon Xy-pic, and the Marked-Objects plug-in
to Illustrator.  (see  http://www-texdev.ics.mq.edu.au/WARM/ )

If you would like to make a bug-report, by writing a short summary of
what is going wrong, so far as you can tell, and supply an example,
then go to:   http://www.tug.org/twg/tfaa/

Another possibility is to use a non-TeX encoded Greek font.
At CTAN archives (e.g. go to  http://ctan.tug.org/search/ )
you can find   The Kerkis Font Family   for use with TeX.

Here's a few paragraphs from the README:

                 The Kerkis Font Family
               --------------------------

The kerkis Font Family (the name is after the tallest mountain
of the Aegean Sea located on the island of Samos) is the first
font in Type1 format with full support for LaTeX and Polytonic Greek!

It is an extension of the Bookman Old Style fonts. Additional characters
are provided not only for Greek but for latin too (like many standard
ligatures missing for URWBookman, true Small Caps etc).

Polytonic Greek is supported only for the Roman font for now. We have plans
though to extend it to the rest shapes/series.

Of course the problem with this approach is that the character shapes
will not match what is used in equations, elsewhere in your TeX document.
(That brings us back to the WaRMreader solution.)

Hope this helps,

	Ross Moore

> >Thanks,
> >Joe
>
> --
> *******************************
> *  Agust_n Valverde Ramos
> *  Dept. Matem_tica Aplicada
> *  E.T.S. de Ingenier_a Inform_tica
> *  Universidad de M_laga
> *  Campus de Teatinos
> *  29071 M_laga (Espa_a)
> *  ---------------------------------
> *  Tel:  (+34)  952132878
> *  Fax: (+34)  952132746
> *  mailto:a_valverde at ctima.uma.es
> *  http://www.AgustinValverde.com
> *  ---------------------------------
> *  Soy miembro de GIMAC:
> *  "Grupo de Investigaci_n
> *  en Matem_tica Aplicada para la Computaci_n"
> *  http://batllo.informatica.uma.es/aciego/gimac-home.html
> *
> *  I am member of GIMAC:
> *  "Research Group in Applied Mathematics for
> *  Computer Science"
> *  http://batllo.informatica.uma.es/aciego/gimac-home-eng.html
> "help" (no quotes) in the body.
"help" (no quotes) in the body.