[OS X TeX] Re: 7 new i-Packages

Gerben Wierda sherlock at rna.nl
Thu May 16 13:14:41 CEST 2002

On Thursday, May 16, 2002, at 03:10 , Stephen Anderson wrote:

> Most of these things are already included in the fink distribution - I
> have nearly all of them installed in support of other software (e.g.
> xemacs, which is crucial to my use of TeX). I'm rather afraid there
> will be massive conflicts if people start installing these things from
> a variety of sources....

In that case: don't.

My goals differ from fink. There are three major differences:
1. I use default install locations, fink uses /sw
2. I try to prevent any necessary access to Terminal.app so that
installing is also available for complete unix unaware users
3. I will not support X11 in any way to make sure that my stuff has a
better chance to work on a stock Mac OS X system.

People are free to choose fink and not i-Installer. Fink is stronger
because it actually knows about dependencies (and i-Installer doesn't
yet). i-Installer may have other advantages, the main one being that
i-Packages may be installed by people who have not installed a
Development Environment (which are rather many).

So far, the tally is that fink has (in the past) produced a lot of
conflicts for my software and I haven't produced any for fink. Given
that fink (as far as I know), still has the safe but somewhat
imperialistic attitude that it puts it's own directories at the
beginning (where I put mine, if any, at the end) there is little chance
fink users are going to notice anything.

"help" (no quotes) in the body.