[OS X TeX] mathtime & book.cls

Michael Betsch Michael.Betsch at uni-tuebingen.de
Sun May 19 23:36:55 CEST 2002

>The font utmr8a.pfb is I think a commercial Nimbus font, which is
>not included in teTeX, so the bad display of the PDF file is not
>surprising. I did a quick search in the directory
>/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/dvips/config for files calling this
>font. There are several, including pdftex.map (read by dvips
>according to your log file) which includes the lines:
>I think the problem comes from tio (normally oblique - or slanted -
>Times). In pdftex.map you have for the LY1 Times metrics the lines:

>tib Times-Bold "TeXnANSIEncoding ReEncodeFont" <texnansi.enc
>tibi Times-BoldItalic "TeXnANSIEncoding ReEncodeFont" <texnansi.enc
>tibo NimbusRomNo9L-Medi ".167 SlantFont TeXnANSIEncoding
>ReEncodeFont" <texnansi.enc <utmb8a.pfb
>tii Times-Italic "TeXnANSIEncoding ReEncodeFont" <texnansi.enc
>tio NimbusRomNo9L-Regu ".167 SlantFont TeXnANSIEncoding
>ReEncodeFont" <texnansi.enc <utmr8a.pfb
>tir Times-Roman "TeXnANSIEncoding ReEncodeFont" <texnansi.enc
>
>This means that for italic, bold or normal characters the Times
>fonts are called, but for slanted characters the font
>NimbusRomNo9L-Regu (?= utmr8a.pfb) is called instead. So I think
>your problem is caused by the table of contents using slanted
>character shapes.

I think the problem is that Nimbus is the font Ghostscript uses when
it needs to display Times Roman. Thus maybe it doesn't include Nimbus
in the pdf-file (because it confuses it with Times Roman which is
present in every PostScript engine (and pdf-display program like
Acrobat). So you should tell dvips to use Times instead of Nimbus.
(Anyway Nimbus is primarily a replacement of Times inside
Ghostscript).

>The file pdftex.map claims to be created by a script updmap in
>$TEXMFMAIN/dvips/config. So could these lines, calling for
>utmr8a.pfb in pdftex.map, be created by some problem during
>installation of teTeX (Gerben, are you listening?).

The script "updmap" contains preferences that should be edited.

The following lines tell which version of the Standard PostScript
fonts are to be used (Adobe's fonts, or URW-replacements, like
Nimbus):

  lw35=urw-kb            # URW fonts (download type1 files using Berry names)
# lw35=urw-urw          # URW fonts (download type1 files using URW names)
# lw35=adobe-kb         # Adobe fonts (download type1 files using Berry names)

Normally the first line (URW fonts using Berry names) is used, the
other are commented out. If you change this to use the third line
instead:

# lw35=urw-kb           # URW fonts (download type1 files using Berry names)
# lw35=urw-urw          # URW fonts (download type1 files using URW names)
  lw35=adobe-kb          # Adobe fonts (download type1 files using Berry names)

and then run this script ("sudo ./updmap" inside the dvips/config directory),
then the test file is processed correctly, because always the Adobe
fonts are called.

Dr. Michael Betsch                                              privat:
SFB 441, Projekt B1
Nauklerstraße 35                                     Rappenberghalde 27
72074 Tübingen                                           72070 Tübingen
Tel. 07071/29-77161                                    Tel. 07071/51917
email: Michael.Betsch at uni-tuebingen.de
"help" (no quotes) in the body.