[OS X TeX] Creating i-Packages for latex2html, latex2rtf etc.

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Mon May 13 02:47:35 CEST 2002

> I have been investigating creating i-Packages for the installation of
> several extras, amongst others latex2html and latex2rtf. I started with
> latex2html, ten found out it needed the netpbm library if it were to be
> able to handle figures. netpbm is really old (1994 or so) and takes

No.
     http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/netpbm/

> quite some tuning to get it compiled. While investigating that, I got
> stuk because some sort of rgb.txt file:
> /* CONFIGURE: If you have an X11-style rgb color names file, define its
> ** path here.  This is used by PPM to parse color names into rgb values.
> ** If you don't have such a file, comment this out and use the
> alternative
> ** hex and decimal forms to specify colors (see ppm/pgmtoppm.1 for
> details).
> */
> #ifndef RGB_DB
> #define RGB_DB "/usr/lib/X11/rgb"
> /*#define RGB_DB "/usr/openwin/lib/rgb.txt"*/
> #ifdef VMS
> #define RGB_DB "PBMplus_Dir:RGB.TXT"
> #endif
> #endif
>
> Given that I do not have X11 and also do not have openwin (talk about

LaTeX2HTML puts one in a place that it can find, when there isn't
one available already, due to X11 say.

It's not a big issue to have both on the system; just a convenience,
so that if the X11 one has extra colors that you already use, then
these can be used by name also with LaTeX2HTML.

> dead...), I would like to be contacted by someone who has actually done
> installing this stuff so that I can quickly create a binary installation

I maintain the LaTeX2HTML distribution.

Before you release the new iInstaller, please let us discuss some
of the finer points of setting-up a LaTeX2HTML installation.
I can test it on 2 or more sites, and help you to handle those
customisation issues that may be unclear at present.

The main issue is how to setup the $ICONSERVER variable,
as this depends upon local conditions and how LaTeX2HTML is to be used
at the site. For example, is the MacOS X machine running a web-server ?
or is it being used to create HTML pages to be served from elsewhere ?

> for the rest. latex2rtf also seems to rely on X11, so this might again
> be a package I will not be able to make an i-Package for. Maybe I can do
> this together with someone who does run X11 as well.

Cheers,

	Ross

> "help" (no quotes) in the body.
"help" (no quotes) in the body.