[OS X TeX] Simple Illustration Program

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Thu May 23 11:07:49 CEST 2002

[Charset WINDOWS-1252 unsupported, filtering to ASCII...]
> Wednesday, 15 May 2002
>

> Hello,
>
> I need to make some simple thermodynamic cycle (Brayton/Humphrey cycles)
> illustrations to include into my LaTeX document.  I was wondering what
> kind of program others use to accomplish similar task where a simple
> diagram is needed for inclusion into a LaTeX file.

Despite the suggestions to use MatLab, GnuPlot, etc.
you can actually do the drawing of such diagrams within TeX itself.

Those thermodynamic cycles just need a couple of splines,
some straight lines, solid/dashed or dotted, and lots of labelling.
Xy-pic is just the tool for this kind of thing.

I've knocked together some examples:

    http://www-texdev.mpce.mq.edu.au/ZACHARY/cycles/

with coding and comments. There's a PDF version too.

Hope this helps,

	Ross Moore

> Thanks,

> Zachary S. Davis
> Department of Aerospace Engineering
> University of Texas at Arlington
> P.O. Box 19032
> Arlington, TX 76019
>
> Home:    (817) 272-6418            zsd3711 at gamma2.uta.edu
> Office:     (817) 272-5269
>
>           _Genius, that power that dazzles mortal eyes,
> 	  is oft but perseverance in disguise."
>
> 			--Henry Willard Austin
> "help" (no quotes) in the body.
"help" (no quotes) in the body.