[OS X TeX] Illustrator 10.0.1 for Mac OS X .eps

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Fri May 24 01:53:24 CEST 2002

> What we found including eps from Illustrator 10.0.1 (Mac OS X) into LateX is
> this... you all may already know this, please comment if you have some info
> or knowledge of this:
>
> First of all, the solution is simple:  eps2eps.
>
> The problem we found was the '%%PageTrailer' section.
>
> Removing this section will allow the 'included eps' to print, putting it
> back of course will cause it not to print.
>
> Also, removing the PrivateData at the end of the file will tremendously
> reduce its size, but does not affect whether it will print or not.

This PrivateData section contains a 2nd copy of the complete image,
as well as sufficient history information about previous edits
so that you can reopen the image in Illustrator and "Undo" to
revert edits from previous sessions.

But isn't there an option when you "Save as..." that allows this
to be excluded ?  That used to be the case with Illustrator 9.

> eps2eps takes care of all of the above.

Useful tool, for images that still have all that extra gunk.

> ____
> The above was done using the default settings in Illustrator 10.0.1.
> ____
>
> Are we missing something, or, is this truly the case, that one must process

> the Illustrator eps file through eps2eps (or something similar) for it to
> print as an included graphic in a document?

Adobe have bloated-out their file stucture, so that the .eps is not just
the image anymore. It can contain all this history of edits stuff.

> Obviously, we are not talking about including pdfs here, only eps files
> -from Illustrator.

Ahem. If you look at the text of the .eps file, you will see that it
*is* essentially PDF, in uncompressed form.
OK, not totally PDF yet, but you can expect it to be in future versions
of Illustrator. There will be a PostScript header as well; but the bulk
of the drawing commands are organised to be PDF. Also, there are comment
sections with XML tagging, such as the PrivateData you mentioned above.

Hope this helps,

	Ross

> Thanks,
> Ted