[OS X TeX] Lucida Fonts - how to invoke use once installed

Gary L. Gray gray at engr.psu.edu
Thu Mar 14 06:16:04 CET 2002

On 3/12/02 7:18 AM, "Michael Murray" <mmurray at maths.adelaide.edu.au> wrote:

> In my documents I use
>
> \usepackage[LY1]{fontenc}    % specify text font encoding
> \usepackage[LY1]{lucidabr}    % switch text and math fonts
> \usepackage{bm}               % switch text and math fonts
>
> which works fine.

I just converted and installed the Lucida Bright fonts (expert, math,
everything) that I used to use with Textures (if anyone has trouble, I can
now provide excruciating detail on how to do it). It all works wonderfully,
but I only had to use:

\usepackage[expert]{lucidabr}

to get what I wanted. I include the "expert" option to get bold math fonts.

[1] Do I need to specify the encoding?

[2] What does the "bm" package do that I can't get with "amsmath"?

In addition, I noticed that when I use:

\documentclass[12pt]{article}
\usepackage[expert]{lucidabr}
\usepackage{amsmath}

I get different versions of the AMS symbols when compared to using:

\documentclass[12pt]{article}
\usepackage[expert]{lucidabr}
\usepackage{amsmath}
\usepackage{amssymb}

It appears that in the former, I am getting the Lucida versions and in the
latter the Computer Modern/AMS versions. Is this the proper behavior?

Thank you,

-- Gary

"help" (no quotes) in the body.