[OS X TeX] Problems with Babel package.

Tore Haug-Warberg haugwarb at chembio.ntnu.no
Mon Mar 11 16:45:27 CET 2002

Hi Bruno,

Your remarks make perfectly sense, I should indeed make no changes to the
teTeX distribution, but I've tried every option (including the one posted
where I really did change the "language.dat" in a terminal window).
However, what do you mean by "recompile your LaTeX format"? This is maybe a
stupid question, but coming from a Windows world your term is new to me.

Tore.

At 04:31 PM 3/11/02 +0100, Bruno Voisin wrote:

>>I've tried to uncomment the line starting with "%norsk nohyph.tex" in
>>file "language.dat" in folder
>>/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/generic/config, and have checked that
>>the file "nohyph.tex" exists in folder
>>/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/generic/hyphen, and that the files
>>"norsk.ldf" and "norsk.sty" exist in folder
>>/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/generic/babel. However, I am suspicious
>>that Babel never reads from "language.dat"! Anyone who can help me on this?
>
>Two remarks:
>
>1) The file
>/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/generic/config/language.dat has
>precedence over /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/generic/config/language.dat
>
>2) Rather than modifying any of these files (I'm not even sure you can
>actually modify them - apart from by logging in as administrator in a
>terminal window -, since they are in a read-only directory), it would be
>simpler to copy
>/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/generic/config/language.dat to
>~/Library/texmf/tex/generic/config/language.dat, and modify this copy. Any
>file inside ~/Library/texmf is read before those in the teTeX distribution.
>
>Then you need to recompile your LaTeX format. I'm not sure how to do it
>from the command line, but running Gerben's teTeX installer should perform
>this I think.
>
>Bruno Voisin

>"help" (no quotes) in the body.
"help" (no quotes) in the body.