[OS X TeX] mac-emacs and PATH variable

Enrico Franconi franconi at cs.man.ac.uk
Sun Mar 17 13:01:31 CET 2002

On March 17, Michel Bovani writes:
> I try to create a ~/Library/init/tcsh/ directory and tu put in it a
> file named rc.mine and containing
>
> setenv PATH "${PATH}:/usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current"
>
> It seems to work.

This is the expected behaviour predicted by the Apple documentation
(of course you should also set the path for your gs). Well, it is not
really documented, you have to infer it by looking at the
files... However, on some configuration (hopefully rare) this does not
work, and you need to put the paths in the main rc file. Still don't
understand which is the rationale behind.

> On the other hand, typing <meta>! and pdflatex in the mini-buffer
> does not work (zsh is called not tcsh). Have anybody a hint for
> this ?

This somehow expected: in fact, from the auctex that is installed with
my distribution of mac-emacs the commands are always invoked from a
tcsh shell, while in plain mac-emacs NOT (it uses zsh, who knows
why...). In the auctex menu you do have pdflatex, and moreover you can
customise it the way you want; those commands are always launched
through tcsh. I'm setting up a number of common cases that should suit
most users (from the various religions...).

Hope thios helps
cheers
-- e.

Enrico Franconi                     - franconi at cs.man.ac.uk
University of Manchester            - http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~franconi/
Department of Computer Science      - Phone: +44 (161) 275 6170
Manchester M13 9PL, UK              - Fax:   +44 (161) 275 6204

"help" (no quotes) in the body.