[OS X TeX] epstopdf (2.8draft)

Gerben Wierda sherlock at rna.nl
Mon Mar 25 22:42:59 CET 2002

On Monday, March 25, 2002, at 02:09 , Dr. Paul Fons wrote:

>  In order to get around the MediaBox bug of Illustrator X (it sets the
> image size to A4 as opposed to the artwork), I have been saving my
> artwork as a eps file from Illustrator and then using epstopdf (teTeX
> flavor - version 2.8draft).  This works (sort of).  I find I can open
> the files in Acrobat and display them correctly.  When I attempt to
> read the files back into Illustrator again, however, all of the line
> widths are increase by a factor of 10 (e.g. 1.5 point width becomes 15
> point).  This makes for some interesting variations in my original
> artwork, but is not particularly useful for the presentation I had in
> mind (I still don't want to use powerpoint -- it has its own
> problems).  Any ideas of workarounds for this issue -- a new version
> perhaps?

Of Illustrator? Anyway, if reading them back in Illustrator fails, what
about other apps on Mac OS X that read PDF. Do they display it OK? In
that case, it may be another Illustrator bug.

> Also does anyone know to whom this bug should be reported?

To me.

I will need an example file as well as illustrations (e.g. grab screen
parts) on how it looks and how it should look.

>  I doubt it is Adobe's problem -- pdf files saved by Illustrator can be
> modified and saved and Acrobat and reimported without problem.  All I
> really want to do is to work around the MediaBox problem in a simple
> manner, if possible, preserving the ability to further edit the files
> in Illustrator.  Any suggestions?

"help" (no quotes) in the body.