[OS X TeX] Re: could use some info/follow up please 2

Jon Guyer jguyer at his.com
Fri Mar 8 15:47:10 CET 2002

At 12:58 AM -0500 3/8/02, get86 at mac.com wrote:

>that was funny post. (they don't say that, i'm the one changing
>everything bwuahaha. ;)
>(i'm the mac sys guy, OSX is my sword.:)

Uh... I don't find anything "smiley" about those statements.
SysAdmins inflicting their will on end users is highly questionable
behavior, regardless of the circumstances. We'd all squawk about it
if somebody posted here saying they were forcing all their users to
switch to Windows XP and Scientific Word and wanted our advice on how
to go about convincing them, so why is it somehow more palatable when
we hear you forcing people to Mac OS X and something other than
Alpha[*]?

The SysAdmin's job is to keep computers running smoothly so that
users don't have to. Yes, frequently you'll have a better sense of
the options than they will and you should bring them to their
attention. On the other hand, disrupting users and forcing changes in
functional systems simply to make your administration task easier is
reprehensible (and far too common you your field).

Yes, as a matter of fact, you /did/ strike a nerve.

[*] In the interests of complete disclosure, I am one of Alpha's
developers, but that is irrelevant here. It would bother me as much
if you were trying to force dedicated BBEdit, TeXShop, or emacs users
to switch to Alpha simply because it's what you know or it made your
life easier.

--

   Jonathan E. Guyer
   <http://www.his.com/jguyer/>