[OS X TeX] metapost using pdflatex

Joseph C. Slater joseph.slater at wright.edu
Sat Mar 23 00:14:22 CET 2002

On Friday, March 22, 2002, at 05:08  PM, Gary L. Gray wrote:

> On 3/22/02 5:03 PM, "Joseph C. Slater" <joseph.slater at wright.edu> wrote:
>
>> I've tried using metapost to generate eps files, convert them to pdf,
>> and embed them into pdflatex, but the text doesn't show up in the eps
>> or
>> the pdf file. Going the old latex->dvi->ps->pdf works fine, but I'd
>> like
>> to stick to pdflatex if possible (I'm getting comfortable with it). Is
>> there another way at it using metapost (like metapdf?).
>
> Can't you just use Ghostscript to convert the EPS files to PDF? In
> fact, you
> can either use Tom Kiffe's version or simply drop the EPS file onto
> TeXShop
> and it will call Ghostscript from Gerben's distribution to convert it.
> Am I
> missing something here?

Yeah. The fonts don't end up in the eps file. When you embed the eps
file in a ps file that has the ps fonts (dvips), it's OK, but when you
embed the pdf file (which doesn't have the fonts) into another pdf file,
the text/equations are missing (pdflatex). l don't get it myself.
Joe

Joseph C. Slater, PhD
Associate Professor
Dept. of Mechanical and Materials Engg, Wright State University,
3640 Colonel Glenn Highway, Dayton, OH 45435
Phone: (+1) 937-775-5040, Fax: (+1) 937-775-5009,
http://www.engineering.wright.edu/~jslater

"help" (no quotes) in the body.