[OS X TeX] How to Insert Graphics Using TeXShop?

Zachary Davis zsd3711 at gamma2.uta.edu
Tue Mar 12 02:19:54 CET 2002

Ross,

Thanks, for the advice you provided.  A lot of what you offered isn't
something you can find in books, but greatly aids in typesetting a
document.  I still seem to be getting some floats where I would rather
they not be.  I have some figures that are placed at the end of the
document even after new sections have been declared.  All of the figures
in my document have been declared as suggested:

\begin{figure}[h]
\centering
\includegraphics{filename.eps}
\caption{figure caption here}
\label{fig-label}
\end{figure}

Unfortunately, the [h] label didn't seem to place the floats where they
were declared in the source file, and kept skipping over segments of
text (complete sections) until they were placed in the next free page.
I've tried adjusting the spacing between floats on a page, the
textwidth, textheight, etc. to see what I could control by altering
each.  However, the placement of figures is still less than would be
desired.

It would seem to me that one would be able to have a bit more control
over the placement of figures in LaTeX documents.  Manually placing each
figures using the coordinate control sequence seems a bit confusing to
me, and I'm not sure it will help matters much.  Perhaps, I just haven't
mastered enough of the mark-up language to have the control over objects
in a document that I desire.  Anyway, I appreciate all of your help.

Zachary S. Davis
Department of Aerospace Engineering
University of Texas at Arlington
P.O. Box 19032
Arlington, TX 76019

Home:    (817) 272-6418            zsd3711 at gamma2.uta.edu
Office:    (817) 272-5269

          “Genius, that power that dazzles mortal eyes,
	  is oft but perseverance in disguise."

			--Henry Willard Austin
"help" (no quotes) in the body.