[OS X TeX] Proposal on Fonts (was Re: Fonts &c.)

Adrian Heathcote adrian.heathcote at philosophy.usyd.edu.au
Fri Mar 29 04:10:18 CET 2002

Bruce

My suggestion would be for someone to try to hack and adapt Hoenig's
VFiinstall which is on CTAN. This seems to do everything that one would
want from a font installer---it was written for, and tested on UNIX, but
has not been tested on Mac. Moreover it can incorporate expert fonts so
that one would have a full and genuine alternative to Times and Lucida.

If anyone wants the manual for it I can send it to them.

Adrian Heathcote

On Friday, March 29, 2002, at 12:02 PM, Bruce D'Arcus wrote:

> On Thursday, March 28, 2002, at 10:31  AM, mark wrote:
>
>> Been quietly following this thread. Interesting.
>>
>> Could we maybe get on to Apple about some of these font issues.
>> I'd like to use some of the pre-installed OS X fonts in my TeX
>> work (e.g. Optima and Gill Sans). Maybe Apple's licensing of the
>> fonts means that they could also supply the fonts in the forms we
>> need for TeX work. Anybody know ?
>>
>> mark.
>
> I've been talking with William and Gerben off-list about an idea I had.
>
> Why not use Gerben's new installer to kill two font-related birds with
> one stone?
>
> 1)  make the advanced OS X fonts (Hoefler, Zapfino, etc.) available for
> use in TeX
>
> and
>
> 2)  allow for easy installation of other fonts (like the Adobe Type 1
> fonts, for which there are packages floating around, but for which even
> this is an intimidating installation process for many...like me!)
>
> It seems this is feasible, though Gerben indicated he'd need someone
> thoroughly familiar with fonts to write the scripts necessary.  Anyone
> interested?
>
> Bruce

> "help" (no quotes) in the body.
"help" (no quotes) in the body.