[OS X TeX] Slowdown in mac-emacs and PATH variable

Alistair Windsor windsor at math.psu.edu
Mon Mar 18 15:55:24 CET 2002

>  On the other topic of the PATH not being correctly visible from within
>  emacs, we are investigating the fact. I call emacs with a "do shell
>  script 'tcsh -c'" so in principle all the tcsh environment should be
>  visible. For some strange reason, in this case the shell does not
>  source the init files as it should do. We are trying to understand
>  why. By now, the patch is to set the paths directly in
>  /usr/share/init/tcsh/rc. This is an horrible solution and we prefer
>  that nobody actually does it! Stay tuned.

I had this problem with the shell in regular emacs. I worked very
hard to achieve a workaround. The problem turned out to be with the
prepackaged binaries. Compiling emacs from the patched source solved
the problem. Another possible work around is to define a
~/.emacs_tcsh file which emacs will source whenever it tries to call
tcsh. Similar problems occur using GNU emacs when you begin by double
clicking a file. Starting the application directly solves this
problem. The shell can be set directly in the .emacs.

--
****
Alistair Windsor
mailto:windsor at math.psu.edu